About the program:
Our Cardiac Reconditioning Program is designed to improve patient’s confidence and independence with daily tasks, exercise tolerance and to educate patient’s following a cardiac event or surgery. This program is a modern approach to cardiac rehabilitation, with a specialised cardiac team to treat and prevent heart disease. Through our comprehensive rehabilitation service our Cardiac Reconditioning team will develop an individualised cardiac management plan tailored to your needs.
Who can benefit from this program?
Patients who have recently had cardiac surgery, or who have been in hospital for, or require management of cardiac illness/disease. This may include conditions such as heart attack, angina, coronary artery disease, atrial fibrillation, CABG or stent, heart failure, valve disease or ICD/ pacemaker implant.
The program aims:
Each patient is assessed individually by our rehabilitation team under the direction of an accredited Rehabilitation Specialist, who will develop a rehabilitation plan according to the individual’s particular needs. Our multidisciplinary team will work with each patient to help them regain independence and resume their day to day life.
This program may include:
- Group or 1:1 physiotherapy with graded activity aimed at progressively increasing general strength, endurance, functional and mobility
- Occupational Therapy focusing on retraining safe self-care techniques, organising equipment and ensuring safe home set up for discharge
- Social Work as needed to organise services for discharge
- Dietetics involving education about eating for heart health
- Information about medication management
Members of our experienced multidisciplinary team include the following health professionals:
- Occupational Therapists
- Cardiac nurse
- Clinical Pharmacists
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Rehabilitation Physicians and Medical Officers
- Social Workers