About the program:
Our Exercise Oncology Program is designed to improve patient’s confidence and independence with daily tasks, exercise tolerance and to educate patient’s regarding the importance and benefits of exercise following a diagnoses of cancer. Exercise is not only considered safe during and after cancer treatments, but is also recommended as part of the treatment due to the number of significant health benefits. Through our comprehensive rehabilitation service our team will develop an individualised plan tailored to your needs and type of cancer.
Who can benefit from this program?
Patients who have recently been diagnosed with cancer, patients at any stage of cancer, and patients who have had surgery, undergoing treatment or have completed treatment.
The program aims:
The purpose of the program is to introduce exercise in a safe and supportive environment and to empower patients to manage their own physical activity. Each patient is assessed individually by our rehabilitation team under the direction of an accredited Rehabilitation Specialist, who together will develop a rehabilitation plan according to the individual’s particular needs. Our multidisciplinary team will work with each patient to help them regain independence and resume their day to day life.
The aims of our Exercise Oncology Program include improving:
- Treatment side effects
- Cancer related fatigue
- Managing and improving pain
- Sleep patterns
- Prevent weight gain
- Preserve metabolism
- Prevent bone mineral density loss
- General muscle strength and flexibility
- Physical, psychological, and social recovery
- Successful return to work, home and recreational activities
This program may include:
- Group or 1:1 physiotherapy with graded activity aimed at progressively increasing general strength, joint range of movements and mobility.
- Exercise physiology focusing on improving cardiovascular endurance, exercise tolerance and overall function.
- Occupational Therapy focusing on retraining safe self-care techniques, organising equipment and ensuring safe home set up for discharge
- Social Work as needed to organise services for discharge
- Dietetics involving education about healthy eating
- Information about medication management
Our team will work in collaboration with you, your GP and other specialists to achieve a holistic assessment and integrated treatment regime dedicated to minimising the effect of disability.
Members of our experienced multidisciplinary team include the following health professionals:
- Exercise Physiology
- Clinical Pharmacists
- Occupational Therapists
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Rehabilitation Physicians and Medical Officers
- Social Workers